On 24/11/15 05:27, sf...@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> OmegaPhil:
>       :::
>> repos, so I'm using this - currently the rsync init.d script has been
>> edited to export the right LD_PRELOAD and LIBAU values, and I've
>> confirmed the library has been loaded via:
>>
>> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
>> =3D=3D=3D
>>
>> lsof -a -c rsync +D /usr/lib
>>
>> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
>> =3D=3D=3D
>>
>> Looking at kern logs the problem happened twice so far this month and 4
>> times in October, so a month's test should demonstrate this working.
>
> You don't have to wait a month.
> You already have a large dir. Try reproducing the problem by "ls
> /large_dir", "rsync --dry-run ..." or something. And then confirm
> setting LD_PRELOAD and LIBAU solves the problem.
> This simple test has an effect to detect something wrong in setting
> LD_PRELOAD and LIBAU (hopefully).
> I'd suggest you to try a simple test. Why? Because I have ever made
> mistakes in setting LD_PRELOAD and LIBAU. :-)
>

> J. R. Okajima

Ha, that would be nice - the problem is intermittent, only in the most
serious case (where ls was also affected) could it be reliably repeated
(but that situation has long since been cleaned up, haven't had it as
bad since). So saying that it failed twice in a month means that the
rsync daily backup worked ~28 times in the same period (for reference
the backup will cover ~4.3 million files/directories according to
locate). No issues so far with the current setup.

I'm happy to sit and wait for the real issue to crop up, if it does then
I can be more aggressive with a test case.

Unless you want me to try and force the issue?