I'm currently updating aufs-util in the usual way (looks like aufs4.1 is
the latest branch), building succeeds but make install fails with the
following:

make[1]: Entering directory
'/home/omega/files/source_code/kernel/aufs/aufs-aufs-util/libau'
Makefile:61: LibAuDir=
install -dv
install: missing file operand
Try 'install --help' for more information.
Makefile:61: recipe for target 'install_ulib' failed
make[1]: *** [install_ulib] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
'/home/omega/files/source_code/kernel/aufs/aufs-aufs-util/libau'
Makefile:187: recipe for target 'install_ulib' failed
make: *** [install_ulib] Error 2

Looking at the main directory Makefile, the problem appears to have been
introduced in the recent C library building changes - if I hardcode
LibAuDir beneath the 'ifneq (${CC},${HOSTCC})' block:

====================

LibAuDir = /usr/lib

It works. I don't have much makefile experience so I haven't gone
further. For reference the make install command used:

sudo env CPPFLAGS="-I /usr/include -I
/home/omega/files/source_code/kernel/aufs/aufs4-standalone/usr/include"
make install

I had to include CPPFLAGS this time since the install step actually does
a compilation (??).

Building against kernel v4.7.5-1 on a Devuan Testing (very similar to
Debian Testing) machine.