Alon Zahavi:
> I understand but think you may consider taking more security measures in
> regards to the problem. For example, one way to overcome this issue is to
> check if a copy-up-ed file is a capable file, and if it is, strip the
> capabilities from it. Another mitigation is to check at the mounting time
> if one of the filesystems that become an aufs branch is mounted with
> "nosuid" and if so, automatically mount aufs with the "nosuid" option.

I don't agree.
If aufs drops the file capability in the internal copy-up and your
command exists on the lower RO branch, then "touch /your/command" will
drop the file-cap as you are wanting.
But if your command exists on the upper RW branch, then the internal
copy-up won't happen and the command will keep its file-cap.  It means
the result depends upon the branch where the command exists originally.
Such undeterministic behaviour is not acceptable.

If you run "touch /your/command" on an ordinary filesystem, then the
command won't lose its file capability regardless the nosuid mount
option.  This behaviour should not be changed in aufs, I believe.

For your problem, adding "nosuid" to your aufs mount is the solution, I
think.

J. R. Okajima