At 12:56 PM 30/05/2011, you wrote:
I know nothing about nothing which is probably apparent from my
postings, but can someone tell me, do instruments like an artificial
horizon give these pilots any indication of nose angle or angle of
incidence?

I was attempting to explain a stall like this to #2 wife and had
difficulty understanding why they did not put the nose down or look at
an instrument to tell them their AOA since they would have had some
minutes to think about this during what appears to have been a tail
down plunge.

At least if the SOPs have changed, I can persuade her to get on another plane.

Angle of incidence is an engineering term to denote the angle which the wing chord line (or tailplane chord line) meets the fuselage datum.

The attitude indicator shows where the nose is pointed. In Head Up Displays this known as the waterline. It can be a W shape with wings each side.

The velocity vector is the direction in which the aircraft is moving. On a HUD this is usually a little diamond shape. The velocity vector can also show sideslip.

The angle of attack is the angle of the wing chord line to the relative wind.

I don't know what the Airbus philosophy on the main attitude display is. Maybe Adam can enlighten us. I suspect AoA may be a number somewhere on the display. I hope at least that.

I think I can see one scenario for the AF447 case. At 35degrees AoA the descent angle would be very steep and the attitude may even have been shown to be slightly nose down relative to the horizon. The crew may have been trying to pull the nose up but to no avail.

Mike

.
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments since 1978
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784

email:   mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com