At 11:04 AM 18/07/2011, you wrote:
Yes, as one who often crewed for Bruce Tuncks at that time I can affirm that his system of extending the rails to the outside of the trailer worked very well. He did it with the fuselage dolly tracks also. As I recall it was still a two-person rig, but the basic idea was dead simple, cheap and is easily transferable to other types of trailer.

On most Cobra style trailers the wing dollies are made such that the spars sit slightly below the edge of the trailer sides. However the dollies don't have sides, so the wing is free to rotate on the pin. He seems to have simply raised the dollies a bit (or perhaps just put more carpet on) so that the spar is above the line of the trailer sides. This allows him to rotate the wing through 90 deg while it is still inside the trailer. Then he just lifts the spar off and rotates while carrying it to the fuselage. Very impressive.

Cheers

Tim

tra dire e fare c'รจ mezzo il mare

If you make the pin removable you don't even need to lift the wing root straight up. Also putting the roller on a small stand lets you put the wing on it at the C of G of the wing. Then you don't even lift the weight of the wing root. Slightly more complicated but when you see the way that bloke throws the glider bits around, he's a big strong boy and his method may not suit everyone. I've done this without the roller on the stand. Just reasonably slippery carpet.

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments since 1978
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784

email:   mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com