 From: Anthony Smith <anthony.sm...@adelaide.on.net>
To: 'Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.'
<aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
Sent: Tuesday, 5 June 2012 7:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Mandl extractor - Is it snake oil or is there
something to it?

Air into the cockpit must equal air out.

If you are ramming air into the cockpit and do not have a suitable exit, where
does it go?  Predominantly out around the edges of the canopy and worse still
along through the wing roots and out the air brake box.  In ‘very bad’ examples
it is the equivalent of having the airbrakes unlocked (but not open) which is
enough of a performance drop to be noticeable to the pilot.

The solution is to provide a ‘nice’ way of exiting the air without disturbing
the surface flow too much.  The JS1 idea is very neat, but complex.  The DG way
is relatively crude.

In older types , an air extractor is a way of getting your 34:1 Std Libelle (or
similar) a bit back towards the quoted 38:1.

Personally, I plan to have an extractor on the Bergfalke behind the (fixed)
main wheel.  I can’t make the louvers like Jonkers, and detest the crudity of
the DG design, so I am playing with the concept of making a true reverse NACA
duct (which is NOT the same as having a NACA scoop facing backwards) behind the
fixed main wheel.  The reason why? It is impossible to completely seal the nose
release in the Bergfalke.  As I have air coming in continuously, I might as
well have somewhere to dump it and the air behind the main wheel is already
pretty disturbed (which may actually defeat the reverse NACA concept – the
original NACA inlet duct design was for laminar flow).