Bernie

I started wearing reading glasses at 40 year of age and by my early 50s I
needed them for
distance as well. Now I take about a +2 for far and +4 for near. Like you I
found wearing glasses
full time a nuisance but neither would I consider laser, which is often not
very effective for
presbyopia/long-sightedness (and I know someone who was the one in a thousand
that
experiences severe complications).

I now wear single vision soft contact lenses for distance and supplement them
with reading glasses
for near vision. In the glider I wear plain sunglasses with an intermediate
bi-focal section for
panel/map-reading - I had those made by an optometrist, but you can buy cheap
little magnifying
stickers which would do just as well.

There is a bit of "learning curve" with wearing contacts but after a few weeks
I found putting them
on and taking them off a breeze. I use monthlys and most days wear them from
just after I get up
until just before I go to bed. Eye hygiene is important though - no swimming or
showering in them,
clean hands before touching; and use really good lens cleaner - peroxide based
is best.

If I want to swim I keep some daily disposables handy, which are fine but not
quite as comfortable
as the super-soft monthly lenses.

Except for the mono-vision option, multi-focal lenses are expensive and not
everyone adapts to
them. My sister uses mono-vision (one eye distance and one eye near) and has no
problems, but I
have doubts about how it might affect peripheral vision and distance perception
for flying.

I also have mild astigmatism, 0.25 dioptres, not corrected by the contacts but,
except when
reading something really small, I don't notice it.

Regards
Niall Doherty