 Subject: [Aus-soaring] ASICS are also useless overseas
 To: aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net
 Date: Saturday, December 21, 2013, 8:16 AM

 Just another data point for
 the ASIC debate:
  Earlier this
 month, I was flying with Jim Payne in Argentina. Late in the
 flight (ie. after more than 10 hours in the air) we spotted
 an opportunity to extend our OLC distance by landing at
 another airport further north along the Andes. Only some
 fast talking by our local interpreter and the manager of the
 airport we departed from saved us from spending a night in
 jail.  I had my ASIC card with me,
 as it’s a useful official-looking thingy that
 sometimes fools the Argentinian police but this time they
 wanted to see our passports, to check that we had legally
 entered the country. This particular airport is about 50km
 from the border with Chile and is an international airport,
 notwithstanding their usual flight schedule is less than one
 flight per day. We had a lot of help from other people to
 email and fax copies of passports around and convince the
 police that we were legal. It took a few hours before we
 were permitted to leave the secure area of the
 airport.  OLC details here:
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?dsId=3431356  Just
short of 2000km, since
 we were instructed to land before the airport closed at
 9pm.  Now we fly everywhere with
 our passports – it’s on the checklist. The
 Argentine authorities always want to see pilot licences but
 they don’t ask for (the equivalent of) an ASIC if you
 have a licence. (We do see the airport workers wearing
 ASIC-like cards.)
  -
 Morgan
 -----Inline Attachment Follows-----