>> Wright flyer at the Rheims event 1909?

I don't think that the Wrights flew at Rheims though others, possibly
Rolls, flew one. They were all fairly soundly beaten by Curtis who
knew a thing or two about flying.

If you have not read the Curtis story, it's well worthwhile. When I
read about the Wright Bros, I can't imagine real people. Apart from
money, they seem to have been singularly unmoved by what they were
doing and gave up flying for long periods several times.

With Curtis it's far easier to see a person who you might recognise
and the engineering decisions he took appear (at least with hindsight)
to be more logical. His fights with the Wrights make interesting
reading. They appear to have retarded flying in the USA by a decade or
more.