Thanks Mike,

That accords with my experimental results so far.

I am talking retrofit here.

 Launch is still just out of reach because of weight considerations.  It
has been done with very light weight gliders.
Sustainer is practical, but range is limited.  20 minutes sustainer power
seems achievable with either LiFePO4 or LIPolymer for about 10-12kg battery
weight (perhaps a bit less) .  Motor is lighter than petrol so it is an
option currently.

That could be get home from quite a lot of situations, especially if you
have applied some judgement during the flight.