The models need updating or initialising with real observations. According to the BoM in Brisbane, Brisbane at least still launches balloons for the Observations they publish. The bloke I spoke to thought this was also the case for the other stations on the aerological diagrams page. You can do all the modelling you like but weather models drift from reality over time. A few days is all it takes. Nowadays they at least still look like real weather charts. They didn't used to after a while.
Hence the need to update with real data.

Mike

At 10:43 AM 21/08/2014, you wrote:

On Aug 21, 2014, at 10:07 AM, Mike Borgelt <mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com> wrote:

> Matt Gage is right too. The chart tells you what was happening at the time of the balloon flight.

It used to, but it doesn't anymore.

The chart is essentially an extract from the BoM's global atmospheric model. The date of the chart doesn't necessarily bear any resemblance to the date of the balloon (or, indeed, whether there's a balloon at all)

  - mark

Borgelt Instruments - design & manufacture of quality soaring instrumentation since 1978
www.borgeltinstruments.com
tel:   07 4635 5784     overseas: int+61-7-4635 5784
mob: 042835 5784                :  int+61-42835 5784
P O Box 4607, Toowoomba East, QLD 4350, Australia