You don't need a DG1000: take the K13! (but don't go as far :) )

-----Original Message-----
From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of DMcD
Sent: Saturday, 31 January 2015 6:02 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Two Seater Nationals

>>the GFA pilot training programme for more cross-country exposure during the
>>ab-initio stage.

Who said that!

If only that happened more during training. IMHO, that's the single most
important thing for a club to do when trying to make the conversion from
student pilot to addicted and committed flyer. Having done enough HG flying to
know what I was up for, the endless circuit training did not kill my enthusiasm
but it can.

My son said at one point that he was wondering what it was all about until he
got to cloud base on day… and I don't think anyone ever took him XC during
training.

I have tried to persuade our club to stop the clock and some point and say to
students at some point, "this is not being charged for… we're going to fly
somewhere for an hour to show you why we all do it."

I'm sure it would make a big difference to the number of pilots who drop out
after going solo. But then we don't have something like the DG which would make
getting home more likely than in a Grob or K21
:-)