Hi Cee

Yes, I’m happy to admit that the Duo did dominate its class for years but it is
equally fair to
say that this was due to other manufacturers not producing a 20 m glider at the
time. The
DG 1000 came on the market seven (7) years later and Schleicher has never
produced an
unflapped 20 m two-seater.

The same can be said for the Arcus. I have flown it extensively and it is
undoubtedly a good
glider but please keep in mind that it also enjoyed a total monopoly for six
(6) long years.
Now the ASG 32 is on the market and if early competition results are anything
to go by its
market dominance will also disappear. I toured the Schleicher factory less than
3 months
ago and all I could see was ASG 32s in various stages of production.

Let’s look at the early days of 18m class now. At the time the only aircraft
designed for the
competition scene was the Ventus 2. Competition results were impressive because
DG and
Schleicher focused on the recreational pilot and developed self launching
gliders, namely
the DG 800 and the ASH 26E. They were produced in large quantities but their
high empty
weight and their limited range of wing loadings excluded them from the
competition scene
right from the beginning.

What I’m trying to say is that dominating a class is easy when you haven’t got
competitors.
I hope you will admit that the ASG 29 dominance isn't due to the lack of other
gliders in its
class.

Kind regards

Bernard