On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Nick Wienholt
<li...@dotnetperformance.com> wrote:
> > it's about time the language got some "cool"
> > features and damn the people that use them irresponsibly!
>
> The new dynamic features target very specific scenarios like COM interop -
> Ander's is way too level-headed and experienced to be influenced by
> coolness.
>
> I do agree that the new features do have potential to do harm - the
> "let-add-a-design-pattern-here-because-it-make-me-look-smart" developer will
> definitely abuse the new features.  There ain't much you can do at a
> language level to solve that - it's ultimately a HR issue for a development
> shop with these people.

I suppose I'm just a bit surprised that it's gone this way, given that
Java's approach to language features (and even C#'s suggested
classical approach of "-100 for each feature") would seem to imply
that there needs to be a significant reason for each thing. And
certainly, with a reasonable degree of accuracy, it's fairly easy to
see the reasoning behind each addition, but I don't think even the
-100 accounts for "will the possible misuse of this outweigh the
benefit".

And whether or not the HR department takes appropriate action in time
to prevent a maintenance headache is surely a reasonable question.

AFAIT, there is *plenty* you can do at a language level to help people
not use it stupidly (this is what compilation is; and other steps such
as this can also help in this area).

--
silky
  http://www.mirios.com.au/

empowerment! Third-class PEATY cerebral. Pimp wean slipperiness.