Hello all,

I've been using autoconf for a while now, and have been wondering about
the use of the AC_FUNC_MALLOC and AC_FUNC_REALLOC macros: my programs use
both malloc and realloc a lot, so it is a good idea for me to check for
their portability, but I have never (so far) tried to allocate a block of
0 bytes willingly (that is: we me knowing about it in advance), because I
simply don't see the use of such a block. IMHO, that would be a waste of
the four (or eight) bytes of memory the pointer needs.

So, I was wondering where the idea of AC_FUNC_{M|RE}ALLOC comes from: why
it exists and what it's uses are, especially because I've been having some
trouble getting it to behave lately (false negatives for the checks, and
conflicts for the macros they create).

Any feedback would be more than welcome,

rlc