On 4/30/24 12:16, Paul Eggert wrote:
On 2024-04-30 12:03, Zack Weinberg wrote:
Another reason to want this type of control is if you are deliberately trying
to ensure that your code continues to compile with old compilers.

While we're adding to our wishlist that should also be a configure-time option, not merely something in configure.ac. That way, one could test a tarball's portability without having to modify the source code.

Yes, it would be appreciated by distro builders and other packagers if
there was a simple way to continue to build an older code base with an
older standard even if we patch the configure.ac script and run autoreconf
with a newer autoconf release.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-                 alan.coopersm...@oracle.com
         Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris