OS
        Linux hostname 2.6.18-238.el5 #1 SMP Sun Dec 19 14:22:44 EST 2010
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

autofs package
        autofs-5.0.1-0.rc2.148.bz579312.1.el5

Mount options
        $ cat /etc/auto.master
        # Master map for automounter
        #
        /home             auto_home               -hard,intr,retry=10

        $ cat /etc/sysconfig/autofs
        TIMEOUT=86400 - we have a long TIMEOUT to avoid mount storms.

What am I trying to do?
        Prior to a disaster recovery test, my home directory will be mounted
from my-nfs-server.domainname:/home/jbreitma.
        At this point my-nfs-server.domainname points to 1.1.1.1.
        There are active reads and writes to my home directory.
        Lets say I have a subdirectory called htdocs and am running apache.

        Now we are cutoff from 1.1.1.1 because the Data Center where 1.1.1.1
lives is no longer accessible.
        We simulate this with an ACL.
        We now repoint my-nfs-server.domainname to 2.2.2.2.

        The NFS Clients where /home/jbreitma is mounted are now confused.

        What is my best coarse of action?
                umount -l /home/jbreitma
                /etc/init.d/autofs restart
                fuser -k /home/jbreitma
                kill -USR1 `pgrep automount`
                etc ...

        How do I recover from this situation?
        I am open to a new approach if that is required.

I have had some success with umount -l /home/jbreitma followed by a
/etc/init.d/autofs restart, but this does not always work.
I specifically fail when active writes and or reads are occurring to
/home/jbreitma.

Jason Breitman
A&T-Tech-GTI
jason.breit...@blackrock.com
BlackRock

THIS MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENTS ARE CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY, AND MAY BE
PRIVILEGED.  If this message was misdirected, BlackRock, Inc. and its
subsidiaries, ("BlackRock") does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and destroy
the message without disclosing its contents to anyone.  Any distribution, use
or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an
intended recipient is unauthorized.  The views and opinions expressed in this
e-mail message are the author's own and may not reflect the views and opinions
of BlackRock, unless the author is authorized by BlackRock to express such
views or opinions on its behalf.  All email sent to or from this address is
subject to electronic storage and review by BlackRock.  Although BlackRock
operates anti-virus programs, it does not accept responsibility for any damage
whatsoever caused by viruses being passed.