On 3/15/2011 4:27 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
On 03/12/2011 05:32 PM, Ian Kent wrote:
On Thu, 2011-03-10 at 15:59 -0800, Nye Liu wrote:
I have been relying on the behavior that

foo     host:/export/foo

uses 'bind' if host is localhost, and 'nfs' otherwise...

i.e. if i am on the machine "host", /export/foo is mounted on /mnt/foo using
bind, but if i am not on "host", host:/export/foo is mounted on /mnt/foo
using nfs.

But the latest version of autofs no longer does that.

What latest version?

I believe this is related to a change in the network layer in Linux,
which breaks the localhost test not just for autofs but for almost any
application which uses the same, portable technique for determining the
localness of a host address.

Indeed. /etc/hosts had "127.0.0.1 host", and not the "real" ip matching dns.

I changed /etc/hosts from 127.0.0.1 to its real ip, and autofs now properly detects that "host" is local and uses bind now, as it should. I verified this has nothing to do with autofs version and more to do with kernel revision.

2.6.32 "works", 2.6.37 is "broken".