On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 09:43 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 09:17:35PM +0800, Ian Kent wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 05:06 -0500, Mag Gam wrote:
> > > Trying to mount a newly created volume on a fileserver (appliance) and
> > > nis. Able to see the volume using showmount and able to mount so, I
> > > don't believe its a permission problem.
>
> > I'm guessing you are using the hosts map?
> >
> > You will get that until the mount tree under /net/appliance expires away
> > so the exported entries can be updated. The exported entries can't be
> > sanely updated while the mount tree under the server directory is being
> > used since export list can be hierarchical and so can have order of
> > mount/umount dependencies.
>
> When you add a new file system (or a new export at least) to an NFS
> server that is being accessed through the hosts map, there is no way
> to tell autofs on the clients to re-read the list of exports.  As Ian
> says, it can't be updated while autofs is still running.
>
> The only workaround is to reboot the client systems.  Sorry.  It affects
> us too.

Or get the mount to expire away, which, as you observe is hard to do on
a busy system.

I've been thinking about this for a while now as I do need to improve
the situation.

I should be able to check for dependent mount sub-trees and avoid
updating only those until they aren't in use, since they should be
handled as sub-trees (for both mounting and expiring) at points in the
tree that introduce dependencies. But I suspect the sub-tree handling
code doesn't actually work how I originally wanted it to, so that will
also make it harder.

Consequently, it's going to be fairly difficult to implement so I won't
start working on it until I have a clearer picture of how I'll do it.
And these the "failed to mount offset" messages sound like they need
work as well.

Ian