Hi,

The stuff is *SUPPOSED* to be linked with -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib and that is
*SUPPOSED* to force ldd to show /usr/local/lib/libopts.so.33 ahead of
anything else in the /etc/ld.so.conf file.  It has never been effective enough.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 9:55 PM, Geof Sawaya <geof.saw...@utah.edu> wrote:
> Figure out where autogen installed libopts.so.33 (I'm guessing
> /usr/local/lib but I'm also x64-naive).  Try providing symlinks from
> places your distro likes better:
>
> ln -s /usr/local/lib/libopts.so.33 /usr/local/lib64
> ln -s /usr/local/lib/libopts.so.33 /usr/local/lib64/libopts.so

The name of the 64 bit library directory under /usr/local in a hybrid
environment is the subject of disagreement.  I think /usr/lib64
implies /usr/local/lib64, but I am not a distro maintainer.  You'd
have to devise a scheme for deciding that all distros would agree on.
Good luck.  Meanwhile, my ld.so.conf contains:

> /usr/X11R6/lib64
> /usr/X11R6/lib
> /usr/local/lib64
> /usr/local/lib
> /usr/x86_64-suse-linux/lib
> /opt/kde3/lib
> /lib64
> /lib
> /usr/lib64
> /usr/lib
> /opt/kde3/lib64
> include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf

so "lib64" is always looked at before plain "lib" and
both /usr/local directories are searched before /lib* and /usr/lib*.
That works for me.  Well, as long as I don't have a privately built
library that gets upgraded to be more recent in /usr/lib64.
At that point, I got to choose whether to break gcc or break my
pre-release autogen.  I chose obliterating /usr/local and starting
over. :)  Sorry it isn't any easier.

> More generically, this is a question to pose to other users of Ubuntu:
>  how do I configure and install tool overrides in /usr/local/* ?  I
> can tell you I believe you will find you suffer from opposing strong
> wills :)  Your distro may feel strongly that 64-bit libs belong in
> .../lib64, while autotools believes default-built shared libs go in
> /usr/local/lib, not /usr/local/lib64.

Exactly right.  Unless and until there is a way to select lib directory
names based on architecture for multi-architecture environments.