On 06/02/12 05:02, Dave Hart wrote:
> dnl AG_PATH_AUTOOPTS([MIN-VERSION, [ACTION-IF-FOUND [, ACTION-IF-NOT-FOUND]]])
>
> The [] above are not intended to be correct m4 quoting, but rather
> simply show that all the arguments are optional.  Try:
>
> AG_PATH_AUTOOPTS([5.12], [], [AC_MSG_ERROR([Autoopts not found])])
>
> or possibly
>
> AG_PATH_AUTOOPTS([5.12], [], AC_MSG_ERROR([Autoopts not found]))
>
> My hunch is the first one will work, my head thinks the second one
> makes more sense.  So much for understanding m4 :)

Yep.  Dave understands it correctly.  I write syntax with pseudo-BNF
and the autoconf m4 quote characters conflict with that usage.
NOTE:  These are autoconf choices, not m4.  By default, m4 uses
the accent (backquote or "`" character) and the apostrophe ("'")
as open and close quotes.  Anyway, I wrote that probably a decade
ago and, in retrospect, it should be cleaned up.  Thank you.