I finally got it to run. The problem was in my openbabel installation, as I
found by gdb. The problem was multiple versions of libraries and or trying
to use the intel compilers. I switched to gnu and made sure openbabel
worked OK before installing avogadro, and that worked. Thank you for your
help.

Ron