It would be good to do some verification on this, because in my testing
this was consistently the location of the executable. We could add some
code to print out what it sees, or try to reproduce this locally.

There is quite a bit of work in several projects I work on where we
successfully rely upon this, and on Windows the executable needs the DLLs
in system paths or the same directory (which is why it is packaged the way
it is).