Follow-up Comment #3, bug #29913 (project avrdude):

I also experienced such problems and found the reason for such file
size depending behaviour. A description of what I have found out can
be read here (in German language):

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/96528

The problem is related to improper handling of USB zero-length packets
(ZLP) which was introduced by the libusb 0.1 API wrapper for libusb 1.0.

Some workarounds:
- use a very old Linux system which doesn't support libusb 1.0
- use a very new Linux kernel >=2.6.31 AND libusb >= 1.0.3

This ZLP problem affects also many other projects which use USB bulk
communication over libusb:

http://www.libusb.org/ticket/6

With best regards
Andreas Schweigstill