There is an example of using HttpMethodParams in
org.apache.axis2.saaj.SOAPConnectionTest.java

    private boolean isNetworkedResourceAvailable(String url) {
        HttpClient client = new HttpClient();
        GetMethod method = new GetMethod(url);

client.getHttpConnectionManager().getParams().setConnectionTimeout(1000);
        method.getParams().setParameter(HttpMethodParams.SINGLE_COOKIE_HEADER,
                                        new DefaultHttpMethodRetryHandler(1,
false));

        try {
            int statusCode = client.executeMethod(method);
            if (statusCode != HttpStatus.SC_OK) {
                return false;
            }

        } catch (HttpException e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
            return false;
        } catch (IOException e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
            return false;
        } finally {
            method.releaseConnection();
        }
        return true;
    }

HTH
Martin

Disclaimer and confidentiality note
Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to the official business
of Sender. This transmission is of a confidential nature and Sender does not
endorse distribution to any party other than intended recipient. Sender does
not necessarily endorse content contained within this transmission.