From: Davanum Srinivas [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 1:14 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Best Practices?

Let's twist this discussion on its head....
- Is there a list of bugs hiding in there somewhere? (bug reports)
- What would you do if you were to write/re-write parts of axis?
(enhancements requests)

If we can't create new bug reports / enchancements to tell axis
developers how axis should behave in the future (1.2 Final) then all
discussion is just water under the bridge.

thanks,
-- dims

On Wed, 12 May 2004 12:12:44 -0500, Joe Plautz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for the advice! This is exactly what I've been looking for.
>
> It almost seems that people end up using Axis inspite of itself. But, it's
> just too dang easy to get something up and running. I imagine JWS files
have
> lead many people astray with their simplicity. If all services could work
> like them, plus using user defined objects/type with little to no
> configuration. The world would be a fabulous place.
>
> I too have been not tying my service layer to my DAO layer. My reasons are
> more personal preferrance then need. But, I can take my DAO and put it
> behind something else with little changing except creating a new broker.
>
> -Joe

it's
> > not an OO type system.  Therefore modeling your data types in Java and
> > expecting some automagic Java2WSDL utility to do all of the hard work to
> > generate your XML schema is naive, and it is unfortunate that so many OO
> > developers think this way.
> >
> > I've encountered several approaches for dealing with this problem with
> > Axis - virtually all of them involve hand crafting your WSDL and XSD
(with
> > WSDL/XSD IDE, of course) and generating a Java type system using ***a
> > particular Java XML binding engine***.  Using Axis's internal XML
binding
> > engine is one of several options available to you.
> >
> > For more info on the XML binding problem in Java, I defer to Dennis
> Sosnoski
> > (www.sosnoski.com), a long-time XML deep thinker.  He first turned me
onto
> > the XML data binding "problem" with his excellent articles (4 parts) on
> the
> > issues over at IBM developerWorks.
> >
> > http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-databdopt/index.html
> >
> > If you're trying to use Axis's internal XML binding engine, here's some
> > advice:
> >
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=axis-user&m=107945370506044&w=2
> >
> > We've since moved away from this approach, and are currently using
Axis's
> > Message Style services to pass the SOAP Request Body DOM straight to
> Castor,
> > which unmarshalls the XML into a Castor generated type system.  We
further
> > introduced a broker pattern to abstract the SOAP messaging layer from
our
> > business layer, which currently is not tied to any XSD generated types.
> >
> > Axis Message Style Service Implementation ->
> > Service Broker Layer (unmarshalls SOAP Request DOM via Castor, extracts
> the
> > necessary information from Castor types - literally traversing the
graph's
> > getters - to invoke Business Manager Layer, and catches Business
> Exceptions
> > and maps them to proper SOAP Faults using AxisFault)->
> > Business Manager Layer (not tied to XSD types, but rather pure Java
> business
> > domain types, invokes DAO layer as needed) ->
> > DAO Layer (a Spring/Hibernate layer to manage persistence for business
> > domain types)
> >
> > The problem here is definitely managing and translating between the two
> type
> > systems: Castor generated classes from XSD and non-generated Business
> Domain
> > classes.
> >
> > The alternative, however, is to just try to use the XSD generated type
> > system and persist that directly.  This is too big of a leap for us
right
> > now, as our business layer doesn't "think" in pure XSD type terms.
You'll
> > probably encounter this a lot given how much legacy functionality people
> are
> > trying to SOAP service enable.
> >
> > Bottom line: implementing a WS-I compliant SOAP service in Java is not a
> > trivial thing.  There are two types of people building Web Services in
> Java:
> > those who are extremely frustrated with the completely stupid state of
the
> > Java based Web Services world right now and yet still trying very hard
> do
> > it right, and those who haven't grasped that world is in a completely
> stupid
> > state right now.
> >
> > -Jon

If
> > you want any hope of being WS-I compliant or using doc/literal this is
> your
> > best bet. As soon as you start with an interface, you start dealing Java
> > types that do not correlate to schema types very well. For example, if
you
> > use: public List getStuff() or public String[] getStuff(), you will
either
> > generate a WSDL file that can't be parsed properly by other consumers
> (.NET,
> > Glue, etc) or be bound to Java collection types that have no chance of
> being
> > parsed properly by .Net (without a lot of hacking around).
> >
> > My recommendation, again personal preference, is always give thought to
> the
> > XML that is going across the wire and what you are trying to
send/receive
> > and in what structure. This is especially important when dealing with
> > doc/literal since you are sending a single document over the wire.
> >
> > - david

I've