Well, I wouldn't want to tell you what to do, but how I have gone about
it in the past is to

[i]     Concoct a nice long test, so start-up costs don't get measured
as the main cost in the output
[ii]    Fire up the profiler
[iii]   Run it under different scenarios

This profiler has several modes of gathering data: sampling and
instrumenting:
sampling is less intrusive but will take longer to get good covereage,
whereas instrumenting has limits on the methods it can profile and makes
a huge impact on overall performance,
        (which therefore invalidates the results a little bit).

Most profilers have some way of sorting the results for time spent by
Class/method/% of total/package

Just browsing around that should give a clue:
there are normally a couple of hot spots;
in Axis these tend to be in the Http client code and the Xml Parser
        (I didn't use the commons http client for those test, and
perhaps I should have).
I don't think it's unreasonable that a SOAP library using http should
spend time in these areas,
so I didn't get too fussed, though there might be room for improvement.

If you sort by class, it will be obvious which Axis classes contribute
significantly to the total.
If there is a performance hit there, it should be easy to spot.

Since you have before and after Axis jars, it would be a great idea to
see if there was a significant impact made to the time spent in the
patched class before and after the patch.

Just some thoughts,

Patrick