Hello.

A month ago, I asked (from another address) how to use
Apache::AxKit::Plugin::Session to make users login automatically upon
returning to the website. Following Matt's advice (thanks) I wrote a
quite simple mod_perl handler that does that.

It uses too much code that is specific to our site to publish the
handler here, but roughly it does the following:
- fetches the cookies using Apache::Cookie
- if we're on the logout page, do nothing;
- if there exists no remember me-cookie, do nothing;
- otherwise: use this cookie find the user in the database;
- set all the global and session variables that are set when logging in;
- and we're done.
The handler always returns 'OK' and it is executed right after the
authenticate handler and before the authorize handler.

Moreover, there are some pages that might contain personal
information. I have built in an extra handler for these pages, that
actually require giving the username and password. To this end,
another session-specific cookie is set when logging in properly that
needs to exists (and, of course, have the correct value) for a user to
access these pages. Otherwise they are redirected to the login page
and have to enter their password.

Thought I'd let you know in case you've got the same problem.

Martijn