Martijn,

> So, after the advice I got on this list, I decided to give it a go and
> run AxKit2 to deliver XML-turned-HTML files on our site. The very
> basic setup works well so far: using Apache as a main server and,
> using mod_rewrite, letting .xml files (and only those) be delivered by
> the second AxKit server.

Could you write an idiots guide for that please? It sounds useful.

> In the original setup, there were a lot of XSLT-stylesheets and which
> one(s) to use was decided from the root of the XML document, by using
> a lot of AxAddRootProcessor-entries in the configuration file.

I hated lot's of stylesheet choosing in the config. It depends how
many stylesheets on has I suppose.
Anyhow, at any point in time my app knows what "state" it is in. ie what
the screen is and therefore the stylesheet. (ajax aside for this
argument). Most of my methods are called state_"name of state"
and my stylesheets are named "name of state".xsl.
I have a method called get_stylesheets which returns an array ref of
hashrefs. An array because there may be a chain of sheets and a hashref
for the name of the sheet and another one for any params
the sheet requires eg:

my $stylesheets = {
                    [ style => 'name of sheet',
                      params => {}
                    ]
                  };

The above is very simple, my actual code is a tad more tedious as it
has to cater for pop up windows etc.

So, in my hook_xmlresponse I have a generalised call to an
xml generation method and one that gets all the stylesheets.

I will post the actual methods if you want.

John