Hi Elaine S,

Everything in the Azores is organized on the town level. You have to know
the town your ancestor came from. You only know the Azores and you don't
have an island. You have a lot of research to do in the U.S. to try to
uncover his island and freguesia (village/town). Here's a 30+ page how-to
full of thing to try to find his freguesia.
http://www.worldgenweb.org/azrwgw/research-aids-a---l/finding-your-portuguese/

Good luck,
Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada