>> repeatedly failing and restoring an interface (ifconfig down/up),

This is a known issue, Dave.  The code that checks for interface down/up
events is racy, it can get confused if you do up/down/up and it doesn't
trigger before the interface gets back up -- it thinks that nothing
changes.

The code is in if_up in interface.c, and I don't see a good way of fixing it.

> I stepped back to 1.6.3 and the kernel and babel ribs stayed correct
> no matter how much I upped or downed the usb0 interface while keeping
> the wifi alive.

Hmm, there have been some changes to this code in February, I'll have
a look to see if I could have increased the vulnerability window.

Thanks for the report, Dave.

-- Juliusz