On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Juliusz Chroboczek <j...@irif.fr> wrote:
>> Well, the rabel repo exists for the crazy ideas... and unfortunately
>> testing them at scale tends towards being a PITA.
>
> Exactly my point.  Ideas are cheap.
>
> -- Juliusz

Ideas are not cheap. Most people have few of them.

I average a few good ideas a year, and one great one a decade. If
I didn't write the ones down that pass my internal tests for "don't know",
I wouldn't know which ones were which, to even start towards the next
phase.

It helps a lot to find one person that thinks your ideas are not crazy,
but finding that one person is hard.

Bouncing them off of people is one way to winnow down what is
terrible, decent, good, or great. Often the best ideas are met with
intense rejection initially. If one has enough self confidence to
take feedback and rework the idea from decent to good, it helps. Far
too many people are stopped cold by that initial rejection or indifference.

Implementations are hard. It helps to have established that something
is a good idea before trying... and sometimes it's ok to just bull ahead
blindly in the hope that by merely trying you'll end up somewhere unexpected.

Prototype stuff, even a little, and get stuck, but make sure you can
sometimes...

And:

Why climb a mountain? "Because it's there."

Sometimes an idea requires a confluence of other ideas to become feasible,
or requires an accident to happen...

Here's the story of one:
http://the-edge.blogspot.de/2003/06/wireless-connection.html

I (theoretically) live next door to Edison's estate in florida - where
he is famous for trying 3000 different kinds of filaments in a light
bulb - but what is
less well known is the decades he and Ford spent looking for an alternative
to South American rubber, and failing. (he nearly went broke, trying).

I wrestle with big problems[1], batting at the walls of the cage until
something gives, somewhere, that makes for a better world.
(and going broke, trying)

There's a concept called a "brainstorming session". This is what I tried to
kick off at the start of this thread was that, a few folk rose to the
challenge...

and my follow-on message recently was asking if anyone had ideas for a
good experiment on the two features recently added that you would like
data on.

I have an issue in that *everything* has to work in order to get anywhere
in networking, and a zillion different features all have to work together
in order for the whole to work *at all*. It doesn't matter how perfect
theoretically
one component is when something else is incorrect or malfunctioning...

This week I'm - after exposing and helping
fix a dozen+ bugs in the stack over the last 9 months, while adding
one new major feature) -

trying to get to doing that all-up test - restructuring tests from
what I learned from the last set of experiments with what is hopefully
a near final version of the kernel and lede.... Did we get them all?
Is it going to work? What else broke? Did we win?

I will end up getting stuck on fixing other bugs than the ones
I set out to fix in order to have something that barely works.

I don't mind that you sometimes react badly to my chaos, but I outlined some of
the problems I was having in my deployment at the start, wrote down
some ideas for fix-ing 'em, shared em, and sat back for feedback,
and ideas on other fronts, and got some. With that in hand I can go
build up the testbed again, and see what blows up this time around,
all over the stack, not just in babel. there are always too many
unknown unknowns, my goals are generally to find
those and reduce them to knowns.

If you'd like me to explicitly tag a message "[CRAZY]" or
"[BRAINSTORM]" so you needn't be subjected to it, on this list, I'll
gladly do so.

[1] http://the-edge.taht.net/post/gilmores_list/

--
Dave Täht