(Note to self: enter competition.)

In my case, the problem is three-fold:

* The TV schedule data we provided over-complicated and in an alien format that was difficult to parse,

That's the first problem. Parsing through two files, one containing program descriptions and the other containing times, raised the amount of work required from "quick PHP parser" to "database and complex parser".

* The idea of developing around a BBC-led theme, even for a prize, isn’t an approach that is of interest to the backstage.bbc.co.uk community.

I don't mind developing around a BBC theme -- it's a great plan to spur ideas -- but the trouble for me is that there aren't that many cool themes that you can do around TV listings.

The final stumbling block was that I figured that loads of other people would have entered, since the prize is large, and thus it probably wasn't worth my time if I couldn't think of an absolutely killer app.

However, I may do now I know there isn't that much competition. Of course, if other people also think that, then there will be competition, so it's not worth my time entering. Of course, if other people think that...

-- Tom