On the BBC News site, you can tell which images are BBC sourced, and which are agency sourced by the presence or absence of a small credit on the image itself.

For example, on this story http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5074164.stm, the top image is uncredited which should be BBC sourced, whilst the bottom image (of Sir Ian Blair) has "AFP" in the bottom right corner which (I presume as I don't work for BBC News), is the AFP agency.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 12 June 2006 23:55
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: RE: [backstage] feeds with live graphics?

I believe the majority of the images on the News site aren’t taken by the BBC themselves – in other words, they don’t have a team of roving photographers dispatched to news story locations. Many of them come from picture agencies such as the PA, AFP, Getty Images and the AP to name but a few, where the BBC would pay a licence fee to use it on line – and I am sure the agreements in place come with many strings attached.

I think the other sources of images on the BBC’s site are either grabs from footage or something else, or images submitted by the general public. And then there’s the slightly naff stock photography they use – I think the Technology section has to be one of the worst offenders at this; how many times have I seen that hand on the mouse, that man at that old computer tilted at an angle or close up of the warning labels on a keyboard wire at the back of a computer. Or, whenever there’s something legal that’s ongoing or doesn’t have any relevant images, out comes the generic photoshopped picture of the justice scales. In fact, I think there was a blog about this, which poked fun at the BBC’s stock image usage – bunny something or another.

Like Graham said, placing these images in a feed wouldn’t necessarily be helpful at all, especially with the generic stock images.

 - C