From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of John Leach
Sent: Fri 27/10/2006 11:15 AM
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: RE: [backstage] Newssniffer - BBC News site monitoring

I'd have thought (hoped) that something like News Sniffer would fall
under the defences of "Innocent dissemination" or perhaps even
"qualified privilege" (the project itself being in the public interest).

It would also have to be shown to be doing further damage - I'm sure a
comparison of visitor logs from the BBC website and the News Sniffer
website would be amusing evidence to contrary here :)

In Laurence Godfrey v. Demon Internet Limited, it was established that
an OSP can be held accountable if failing to act once informed of the
libel:

http://www.cyber-rights.org/reports/demon.htm
http://www.theregister.co.uk/1999/07/19/uk_court_rules_on_isp/

But nobody liked this outcome (except Mr. Godfrey I would expect :).
Demon, along with other ISPs and Electronic rights organisations, were
working on ensuring a change in law to protect OSPs in future.

I don't have time right this minute to investigate if anything has
changed since this (1999).  Anyone know any more?

John.

-
Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.  Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk/