FFMpeg?
(I may have misunderstood what you're after tho)
http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/
>FFmpeg is a complete solution to record, convert and stream audio and
video. It includes libavcodec, the leading audio/video codec library.
FFmpeg is developed under Linux, but it can compiled under most
operating systems, including Windows.
The project is made of several components:
    * ffmpeg is a command line tool to convert one video file format to
another. It also supports grabbing and encoding in real time from a TV
card.