"Andrew Bowden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> "James Cridland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> > Though looking at the big screen on the wall, the vast majority of users
>> > seem content with Windows Media (over 80% of our online listeners right
>> > now).
>
>> Do you think those of us who aren't content should complain more?
>> I complain sometimes but mostly the reaction from people here is
>> "sorry - it is like it is - get over it"
>
> I was rather hoping it didn't come across like that.  I, and other
> BBC staff, do try to explain the way things are, and why they are in
> respect to BBC decisions - we have the knowledge of why a lot is
> done the way it is.

I've worked for the civil service and know how easy it is to get
defensive when you don't mean to be - even about obviously stupid
things - I remember sticking up for government nuclear policy when it
was clearly mad.

I also know that it's easy to get critical of one set of people when
you actually mean to be critical of another set.

I don't think many of the criticisms that are laid out here are about
the people doing the work. They're mainly frustration with things not
moving faster, being too locked down or not transparent enough. All
problems for managers, not hackers.

> I should also add that most of the BBC staff on this list aren't
> (unfortunately!) the decision makers on the big subjects like DRM,
> audio streaming, and so on.  We can try and influence the decisions
> in our areas where appropriate, we can keep bleating on about
> things, however we're not always in a position where we can actually
> make it happen :(

Which is why, a few months ago, I was suggesting that managers at
least listen to this list. Maybe they should get a summary. Maybe
someone should do what the debian project does and do a weekly summary
of activity here.

I might investigate that. Maybe it could have a level of automation
like kernel traffic used to have.

Anybody else think that's a good idea?

> If I had my way, we would have had Ogg streaming years ago!

Yes. The real reason people like me want it is because it's hackable
in a way that other streaming tools aren't. If we had ogg we'd be able
to provide just about everything else ontop of ogg.

Ah well.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk   for all your tapsell ferrier needs