> > If you are concerned, maybe you should ask Real?
> Tiny problem there, if I am suspecting Real's code what good
> is asking them?

Well, it might make them realise that people are onto them and that they
shouldn't do it :)

> > The BBC website uses a few different technologies but yes,
> > Solaris is
> > involved and they run Apache 2.  There's also some Windows servers
> > floating around (obviously as we stream content in the WMV format)
> Ah Solaris. Are you running the Sparcs chipset? Just curious.
> I heard they do context switching faster than the intel chips.

To be honest, I've no idea what the hardware is inside.

> Would it not be cheaper and easier to scrap WMV and switch to
> an open standard as then you could get rid of the Windows
> servers and run your servers with a consistent operating system?

Perhaps you might be interested in some of the debates on the Points of
View messageboard.  There's regularly posts by people demanding more WMV
content (usually along the lines of "Why do you use this RealPlayer
crap?  Windows Media is much better")

Here's one for example.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbpointsofview/F2131439?thread=3843045