From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Tom Loosemore
Sent: Mon 7/9/2007 10:48 PM
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: Re: [backstage] Re: Uploading the BBC programme catalogue to freebase
(was RE: [backstage] Programme Catalogue vs. Freebase (was: BBC Programme
Catalogue -any APIs yet?))

On 09/07/07, Oliver Cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 21:30 +0100, Brendan Quinn wrote:
> > I was considering entering a hack for Hack Day around that very thing.
> > But then they went and made me one of the judges ;-)
> >
> > Wanna help? A simple set of scripts that scrape the archive (er I mean
> > "call that big RESTful API") and post entries/updates to the freebase
> > sandbox server would be an interesting experiment.
>
> I've not yet (bulk) posted data on Freebase - I'll take a look at this
> when I'm more au fait with it.
>
> > compare
> > http://www.freebase.com/view/?id=%239202a8c04000641f8000000000012406
> > with
> > http://open.bbc.co.uk/catalogue/infax/series/DOCTOR+WHO
> > !
>
> Freebase is still in alpha as far as I know - those who can't see the
> first link can see a screenshot at:
> http://cornflakes.imen.org.uk/~oli/DrWho.png
>
> Those who are particularly interested can feel free to ask me for one of
> my remaining 4 invites - and I imagine Brendan has some too.
>
> > There may be some rights issues around what would basically amount to
> > opening up the programme catalogue under the creative commons
> > attribution license, where the attribution wouldn't go to the BBC but to
> > Freebase...
>
> Well, the RDF for the catalogue links to
> http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/05/api_licence.html:
>
> "The BBC grants to You a ... non-sublicensable right to copy..."
>
> Further:
>
> d. not publish, distribute or otherwise make the APIs available,
> (including in any Work You create), in a way that would enable other
> people to download or use the APIs other than as set out in this
> Licence.

standard backstage API licence -  it was the only one lying around at
the time... (nov 2005)

> I don't see any legal way that we can export the data to Freebase and
> relicense it as CC-BY.

yeah... the attribution back to BBC kinda matters... though given the
programmes are clearly BBC programmes, I'm not sure it's the end of
the world...

> Would you be able to get the appropriate BBC people to get this done?

I'll do a bit of lobbying...