> OR I'd go for something much more interesting.
>
> Given that Wikipedia has pages on most of these artists and
> that-by its nature-it has to have a separate page for each
> one of them, then you can view that as a well maintained
> centralised controlled vocabulary. I'd probably go with using
> their URLs as some kind of identifier and perhaps even
> translating their URL conventions locally.
>
> Having said htat, they don't have any of the three artists
> called 'Bliss' so maybe that wouldn't work.

Hmm, such a setup would very much depend upon how critical/commercially
sensitive a project might be. to place it at the mercy of a fairly
unregulated and somewhat haphazard classification schema might be seen
as a bit risky.  Let's be honest, as nice and useful as Wikipedia might
be, I certainly wouldn't create an app that needed any kind of long term
stability in classification with it. But maybe that's just me being a
sad anal sort of chap

If we're talking sematic applications, it might actually be good for an
organisation like the BBC (and partner broadcasters to actually sit down
and work out some standard ontologies to make it easy for heavy duty
(RDF-heavy) applications talk nicely to each other. It may even have
some applications in more lightweight formats as it would give
developers some clues as to what particular parts of the data streams
actually do. This does seem to be a big stumbling block with semantic
applications: having ambiguity of terminology across applications. For
example, consider a Tx time: a single ontology could specify whether
this meant a first transmission or just the latest, whether a timezone
is optional or required and so on. And applications could both parse and
transform data knowing that this was the case, not guessing.

Should this be a longer term strategic goal for the BBC: trying to work
with others to try to create content that is as universally usable and
transformable as possible?

I've just read this back and if it sounds a bit po-faced and pompous,
sorry, wasn't meant to be.

Darren Stephens MBCS CITP
School of Arts and New Media
University of Hull
Scarborough Campus
www   : http://www.hull.ac.uk/
email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To view the terms under which this email is distributed, please go to
http://www.hull.ac.uk/legal/email_disclaimer.html