________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brian Butterworth
Sent: 15 August 2007 10:10
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: Re: [backstage] more data visualisation links

On 15/08/07, Simon Cobb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        Kim said: "Useful or Playful? Is the question to ask."

        I'd argue that useful and playful can be part of the same thing.
Certainly nothing ever stuck with me that I didn't enjoy using/ thinking
about. Likewise many of the children I used to teach. The trick is to
combine the 2. I think there's ways from that set of visualisations to
encourage people to make playful and useful interfaces to bbc data/ apps
if the API's were available.

As I was trying to say, a system that allows the end-user to construct
live visualizations of data is a commendable idea, but (almost) by
definition this will be impossible for others to use.  For example, many
people will use red to indicate an error state and green to indicate a
OK condition.  But you can't use that for everyone as 10% of men are
red-green colourblind.

If you do some research you will also find out that some people are
visually-orientated and respond well to these kinds of representations.
But others prefer speech over visual explanations and this kind of thing
will exclude those people.

        Brian said: "I presume you have some substantive evidence that
no testing is require then?"

        That's not what I said, it's just that I'm not personally
convinced that his views are as up-to-date as they should be and so
cannot perpetuate his status as an untouchable usability expert. But
that's best discussed over a pint at some unspecified future backstage
event rather than this list.

That's a total cop-out, either you can explain why no usability testing
is required or not.  Personally I don't drink so I can't see why I would
never discover the great truth that has been revealed to your good self.
Simply being rude about someone is a failure to explain - just an insult
rather than a debunking.