On 09/01/2008, Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On many other sites all you have to do is "view source", Ctrl-F,
> ".flv" and you find the URL needed for the stream.
> I think the biggest thing people want is you NOT TO USE RTMP.

The BBC is using the latest Flash technology - Flash Media Server -
which neccessitates RTMP, and all the other sites that use HTTP as you
describe are using an old deprecated way of doing things. Expect them
to migrate to RTMP this year, especially when Cygnus, the Gnash Media
Server, kicks its tires off; who can see Gootube having plenty of fun
with a free software solution for streaming Flash video, hmm? :-)

By using RTMP and putting Gnash through its paces, the BBC is spurring
on myself and others to try raising developer time and funds to raise
Gnash's game sooner rather than later. I wrote earlier this week at
length about why I think the BBC should be directly involved in
developing (or funding the development of) Gnash. Who knows what will
happen?

Although I appreciate your frustration in the short term, I think this
situation is better and more sustainable in the long term,

> While your "helping" get a Linux download version released, including
> source code.

As I understand it, the BBC has agreed to accept DRM on "download"
versions of iPlayer.

So I would rather they scrapped the download version completely!

I wonder what the radio of download:streaming users is? Hopefully it
is so much imbalanced towards streaming (since its more convenient,
despite the slightly lower image quality) that the BBC will find a
business reason - like the cost of support and maintanance, and the
ongoing bad publicity about the DRM - to scrap it.

Also, since you care about software freedom, please consider calling
the OS GNU+Linux -
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/linux-gnu-freedom.html explains how
doing so helps the software freedom movement :-)

--
Regards,
Dave