I think this is blurring the line between what constitutes DRM and
what constitutes a proprietary streaming protocol. The article doesn't
really go into any technical detail about what they're referring to,
but I take it they're referring to RTMP. This isn't DRM as the files
inside the protocol are the same video formats that would be streamed
over the web. DRM tends to be applied to the files directly.

To assert that RTMP is a DRM scheme would imply that it's primary
purpose is to lock out unauthorised users. From what I gather, this
isn't its primary purpose at all - it's just supposed to make
streaming objects over the web to flash more flexible and efficient.
>From what I've read of the protocol written up in OS Flash, it's
pretty obtuse but there doesn't seem to be any great effort made in it
to lock out unauthorised users.

Therefore RTMP is not DRM and that article is reactionary guff.

Iain