On 15/04/2008, Brian Butterworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 15/04/2008, Peter Bowyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 15/04/2008, Jason Cartwright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Isn't this what Akamai are doing for the iPlayer content already?
> >

> > Yes
> >

> > > Doesn't
> > > get the content close enough to the consumer to solve the issues ISPs
> > > apparently have.
> >

> > No - as has been pointed out several times here, it's the last-mile
> > (individual ADSL line)
>

> You are saying that the capacity on each individual ADSL line here is the
> problem?  I really don't see that.  The STATED problem is PAYING for the
> PIPES to backbone from BT.  If this isn't the problem, then someone is
> lying.

Not capacity of those lines, but the commercial model involved.

> > and second-last-mile (backhaul from DLE to the
> > ISP's network via BT's ATM network) that's the problem. BTW's
> > usage-based-charging model on IPStream makes it jolly expensive for
> > the ISP when the bandwidth utilisation goes up. Their business model
> > is based on an average utilisation which they see as under threat.
>

> Ah, back to the BT-behaves-like-a-monopoly-issue.

Not really, no. The introduction of usage-based charging on IPStream
enabled BTW's resellers to compete on price with the LLU operators and
their resellers. The reseller is able to decide their own price points
and usage caps in order to differentiate their offering, attract the
bit of the market they're interested in, and hopefully still make a
profit based on the mix of punters and their usage patterns. The older
capacity-based charge simply left them making a fixed and
downward-trending margin reselling a simple product.
.
If suddenly all their punters' usage patterns change for the worse,
this screws their business model - hence the outcry about iPlayer.

IPStream backhaul is a bit simpler - resellers buy it in bandwidth
chunks called 'central pipes' - small ones (STM-1) or large ones
(Gig-E). There's no metering as such, but obviously the aggregate
bandwidth demands from a reseller's userbase, the more pipes they need
to maintain a given level of contention.

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]