Hi Dave,

Many thanks for keeping us updated.

Matt

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:18:31 +0100, Dave Crossland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi!

Sorry that I haven't been responsive; naturally this happens the
weekend I'm in Cannes ;-)

All but one VM is now up (pima) and the ISP continues to investigate;
appended is their description of their fault finding efforts so far.

- - - 8< - - -
From: Peter Bryant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2008/8/10
Subject: Re: playground1.welcomebackstage.com down!
To: Dave Crossland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks.  For now I reset the root password to xxxx

I can access the server via the console.

I am not able to ping out.

ethtool eth0 reports link.

administratively shutting down the port on the switch and it shows no
link (then I re-enabled the port).

I see no relevant error messages in /var/log/messages.

The route table looks OK.

I stopped/flushed iptables .

I tried the older xen kernel.  Then I tried a recent non-xen kernel
from the grub list.

I'm not really sure what the problem is.

I'm attaching another network cable to the server's other nic and
seeing if I can configure that to work.

After that extra cable was plugged in, and for no other reason I can
think of, and after no other change was made that I can think of,
dmesg reported that eth0 became ready and the IP is now pinging.

I reported the server into the latest/newest Xen kernel.  And it still
pings/works there.

It is late/early here.  I'll leave things as they are now.  And
reflect on this a bit to see if I can figure out what happened.  But
as things stand now it should all be back up and working for you.
-
Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group. To unsubscribe, please visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html. Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk/