2008/10/17 Phil Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Doesn't the BBC also derive some of it's funding from non-license fee
> activities? If this is the case then C4 and the BBC are both indirectly
> funded by the tax payer and commercial activities although in different
> proportions and to a different scale.

BBC Worldwide is forbidden to compete directly with BBC services, but it
does flog lots of magazines and DVDs using BBC brands.

The main BBC Worldwide activity in the UK is UKTV, home of "Dave" and
"Watch", "Blighty" and "Alibi" etc.  This is 50% BBCWW and 50% Virgin Media.

Dawkins knows why UKTV uses SSSL encryption on it's satellite services, free
to air channels get all the viewers!

> Since most residents are TV license payers and the vast majority of
> those will be UK tax payers, I think there should also be a similar
> campaign for non-DRM-encumbered output on C4 also :-) After all,
> national DTT muxes and UHF channels don't come cheap -

The new Discovery slot on Multiplex A is said to have cost between £10-£30m
p/a to rent from SDN (or ITV plc as they are known).

> if they were
> auctioned commercially to C4 I'm sure the gov't would make quite a large
> amount of money in the order of billions of £s.

Well, not billions.  But if 1/8th of a multiplex is £20m p/a, that makes C4
statutory half of multiplex 2 worth around £80m a year.

However, the coverage of Mux 2 is "universal" rather than "commercial" so
this would shove the price up a bit.