On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 10:53 AM, Nick Bright <nick.bri...@valnet.net> wrote:
> On 11/2/2016 8:48 PM, Adam Goryachev wrote:
>> Don't use rsync, or anything else. If you can't mount the partition,
>> then it's not a BackupPC related issue, and is probably caused
>> bycorruption during the copy process.
> I was using rsync to attempt to convert from ext3 to xfs, but that's
> turned out to be a bad idea and I abandoned that process - it was also
> going to take several months to comple
>>> There were no discernible errors, BackupPC simply didn't work - it
>>> showed no backups for any hosts, and when trying to complete the backup
>>> would fail and not log the error - almost like it couldn't write to the
>>> pool, but I re-verified permissions at least a dozen times. I've
>>> reinstalled the OS since then, so any logs are lost.
>> OK, so one step at a time... What FS is the source? When you say you
>> "converted it to ext4" what exactly did you do?
> Followed this document for converting the filesystem:
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Storage_Administration_Guide/ext4converting.html
>>   Did you run a fsck afterwards?
> Yes, in fact it won't mount without doing an fsck.
>> Next, manually check permissions for backuppc:
>> <snip>
>> check /var/log/messages (syslog and daemon.log etc) for any related
>> backuppc startup logs/etc.
> I'll check that during the next attempt. My pool is copying again now.

This one is kind of obvious, but if you are moving to a different
server or installation it is possible for backuppc to have a different
numeric uid than on the host that created the files.  The chown that
Adam suggests would fix it if that is the case.  Also, I believe
different packaged systems use different ways to make the web
interface run as the backuppc user.  You may need the perl-suid
package or maybe httpd-suexec.  And the filesystem mount probably has
to allow suid - but that should be the default.

     lesmikes...@gmail.com