I managed to resolve the problem, but I don't understand the solution:
In the hosts file, I deselected "dhcp", even though the host is assigned an address by my router (although I did give the host a permanent 192.168.* address in the router).

The reason I tried this is I perl-debugged the BackupPC script into the method, QueueOnePC, and because  $Hosts->{$host}{dhcp} is non-zero, the backup request was not being queued (line 1885).

??

On 2020-06-17 9:36 a.m., Tim Evans wrote:
On 6/17/20 12:28 PM, Norman Goldstein wrote:
Sorry for possible re-posting -- am having trouble with this mailing list.
Rats, previous email sent to "users-owner" by mistake.

Am running BPC 4.3.2 on fedora 32 x86-64.  I am able to run /ping/ from the command line as backuppc and as root (and as myself), and can successfully do backups from the command line using BackupPC_dump, but the GUI interface always puts a backup request to be idle, and shows ping requests always failing (which, I assume, is what puts the backup request to be idle).

My file system is not near 95% full, and I have full privilege in the GUI to edit all the Server and pc-specific config files. There are a fair number of posts on the net re "ping" issues with BPC, but I haven't been able to resolve this on my machine.  When making a manual backup request from the GUI, the only relevant log entry is in the Server LOG file:

2020-06-12 11:07:43 User backuppc requested backup ofmelodic <http://localhost/backuppc?host=melodic>  (melodic <http://localhost/backuppc?host=melodic>)

Make sure your full path to the ping executable is correct in the setup.