The CGI script is trying to connect to the BackupPC server using the
unix-domain socket, which is at $Conf{LogDir}/BackupPC.sock. From your
email, on your system that appears to be /var/lib/log/BackupPC.sock.

Are you running nfs v3 or v4?  I have had experience with v3 not working
reliably with BackupPC (related to buggy lock file behaviour).  BackupPC
does rely on lock files working, so it's definitely not recommended to turn
locking off.

You said you deleted the BackupPC.sock file.  That would explain why the
CGI script can't connect to the server.  Why did you delete it?  You
said "deleting
those files doesn't always let the service restart" - deleting those files
should not be used to get the server to restart.

Craig