Hi,

Maybe a solution composed by backuppc + rclone is the way forward.
I never used rclone myself, but AFAICT it handles all the issues
you raised, plus more:

>From their page: "Virtual backends wrap local and cloud file systems
to apply encryption, caching, chunking and joining."

https://rclone.org/

Been willing to try it, but didn't have the chance so far.

Best regards,
Marcelo